Thursday 11 July 2013

Donating to charity?

Today I went to the cinema with my best friend to see Despicable Me 2 (hilarious by the way) and we decided to do a spot of shopping in town afterwards to waste some time...it was a beautiful day and we didn't want to spend it doing nothing! So as we were walking around town a man came up to us and it was obvious that he was a 'street fundraiser' - these are the people who walk around asking if you will donate some money to charity.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the work that all charities do and I have no problem with donating to charity! Me and my friend actually ended up donating £1 each to the charity that this guy was working for even though I don't actually know what charity it was! I know £1 isn't much but every little helps. The problem I do have is how 'in your face' these street fundraisers are! This guy literally would not stop following us around until we donated something and he kept asking us questions. I know these guys have to do some graft to get people to donate because that's their job and there's people out there who need this money but you have to give people their space!

I'm not in any way disrespecting these charities or the work that these people do because I think it is brilliant and so so kind, hence why I donated some money. But I just don't like feeling pressured by people to do something that I might not have wanted to do in the first place. Me and my friend are only 16 years old so I don't really think it's fair for people to go round pressurising teenagers to do things.

You're probably thinking - 'So why didn't you just say no?' I did! But the guy kept talking and talking so I had no choice! At the end of the day, I'm glad I did because I was having a rubbish day and donating kinda gave me a bit of a confidence boost knowing that I did something good to help someone...so if you're feeling down, why don't you donate to a charity of our choice? Whether its 50p or £50, every little helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment